Sunday, June 13, 2010

Trying new things.........Am I crazy?

Between work, P90X, training for a half marathon, planning a wedding and at some point taking a shower and sleeping I've decided to try something new, bike racing! As Jem Fromant says(one of Todd's 1000 FB friends) a "proper sport." After having the Cutters stay for 2 weeks, seeing Little 500(and the fact that those women have "proper" butts) and witnessing Libby and Dirk get after it at Ironman Orlando, I just had-ta!

"This is the cool way to relax on your bike"-Todd


I must admit, with the white wedding dress, the idea of a giant scab or sling for a broken collar bone does make me think twice, but I went yesterday for the first time and yes Libby I'm hooked.


For those who don't ride, here is a run down of the correct first day thanks to Todd! I will say I have been spinning for years, some Saturdays for 2 hours. And while that does prepare you in certain aspects, the fixed bike versus the road bike is a whole new world.

Before you get on the bike, you need a few essentials. First a shami! This is basically a nice soft diaper sewn into a pair of hopefully breathable shorts. They should be snug but not cutting off your circulation. Second a helmet, if you think its cool to not wear one you're an idiot and should not ride a bike. Water and a little nutrition before hand is important. I have been running for the better part of 10 years and have never been hungry even after a marathon, but I was starving after my ride. And of course a bike! I'm fortunate enough to have good friends who enjoy sports so Sasha and Libby both offered up. I ended up on Sasha's Synapse Cannondale with pedals that you slide your foot into(vs locking in.) Plan to budget some dinero for this sport and if you cant get the right gear wait until you can. You will be safer, more comfy, and ultimately enjoying yourself.

OK now you are ready somewhat. As I woke yesterday I also put on Bodyglide(thanks for the advise Felicia Regan) and sunscreen, I don't want to work on my "Pro-tan" -Jason Fowler.

We arrived at the boat ramp on Shore Drive. Took the bike's out and began learning. First we pumped up tires. Between 100 and 120 lbs is good(we went 110). This in itself is a new challenge; there are no kick stands on road bikes so its a delicate act of balancing, loosening the seal, pumping and doing it all over again.

Now for some White Lightening! This stuff is awesome. Its a cleaning lubricant. Putting it on is a feat in itself. Hold the bike, turn the pedal backwards and spray at the chain then pat your head, rub your belly and chew gum at the same time........get it?

Mount the bike, couple things. First you never ever put your foot over the top tube, so not cool, you have to swing around the back(first few times I managed to hit the tire, oh yeah looks who's awesome.) Ok now put your foot in, and push off, oh wait this bike weights about 3lbs, and I push down and the whole thing goes down! Needless to say this took some time.

So the next 30 minutes is filled with FAST heartbeats and SLOW mph, I'm talking about 6mph! I was so scared. Coming from the beach cruiser world where your feet do all of the work this was scary. Im 28 years old and have never been on a bike with hand brakes, it was like throwing someone from Arkansas who cant swim in the ocean. To quote Todd "that has to be the worst I have ever seen anyone at the start of a biking adventure and I'm pretty optimistic, but that was bad Heather. Surprisingly by the end you did great, lets pull the trigger on your bike." So after many expletives and some advice from Todd I finished the day having gone 24 miles, average speed about 17mph on the second loop, and hit 22.6 mph.



Check out my "rookie mark."


You finish feeling worked out but not beat up, your lungs are open, the wind is cool, and the views are beautiful! I cant wait to ride again. I went and bought shoes and clip in pedals and another shami already.




So am I crazy, maybe. I was talking with Juan Mas after our 5 mile loop this morning and he pointed out that all bikers get hurt, its expensive and if the novelty wears off well.... While the percentage of hits, falls, and other sillyness is higher(some guy up in Jax was so angry at a biker last week he stabbed the guy), there is less stress fractures, ITB issues, over heating and well, you just dont feel like the pavement beat you up when you finish. As for novelty, with Todd, the Cutters, The Bockels, Libby and Neil and the Regans, I dont think theres a lack of inspiration or people to ride with.


All I know is I went and bought clip in pedals, Diadora shoes, another shami, and gloves of my own and will be riding again Wednesday in the South if not sooner!!!!



GET GET GET

6 comments:

  1. Have fun but do not become a crazy mean bike racing woman.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi you riding maschine, that is awesome, you guys going new paths... really cool and motivating for myself as well! Just one thing: if you see a woman (driving a car in the US) while on the cell phone, be extra cautious, she just doesn't know what she is doing....dont crash and dont even think about it. enjoy the summer, the wind and the fun of being free out there (great time to let the thoughts drift their ways...)
    happy riding future Mrs Neville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I have been watching these bike races and Ironman races, and hanging out with everyone from Olympians to TdF Pros for some time and have never (ever) been inspired to get on a bike. Well, reading this post is actually inspiring me to think about it! The way you describe it makes it seems like fun (maybe even enough fun to consider fighting through saddle sores (umm--am I crazy too?)) Count me in for a ride when we are back in town (okay I need a bike and all of the gear--but we will figure that out)--we can form our own slow-moving peloton and take the oldest city by storm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear heather,

    i LOVE your blog. it's almost as great as you are!!

    love,
    caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Caitlin, Alicia, Dirk and Jim!!

    Jim Ill beat anyone up who is mean to you!(Oh no the mean girl is setting in!)

    Alicia, unfortunately you and I are too competitive and a slow peloton will never work!

    Caitlin, I must say after seeing Caroline go down I was a little hesitant but your come back makes me realize how great the sport is!

    And Dirk, GET AFTER IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad you love it! It is really fun! I have rookie marks, don't do things right, etc...and I dont really worry to much about it. In fact, I think I look pretty dorky on the bike..but it is fun! Let's plan to do a Tri together somtime. Destination racing, post weddings of course!

    ReplyDelete